Until they repeal it, we will resist it.
The South has a long history of people who resist unjust laws by publicly defying and disobeying them. HB2 discriminates against trans people, blocks the civil rights protections of the LGBTQ community, and bans local living wage ordinances. HB2 is also particularly easy to resist, because there is no way to enforce it!
Below is rundown of actions that you can take. CSE is here to help you every step of the way. For support and assistance, contact Crystal Richardson, Legal Director, Rapid Response Initiative (crystal[at]southernequality.org).
What individuals can do:
- Advocate for your city, town or county to pass a non-discrimination ordinance that includes gender identity and sexual orientation and addresses employment, housing and public accommodations.
- Support businesses and organizations that #DefyHB2 by having “All-Gender Restroom” facilities available.
- Support businesses and organizations that pay a living wage.
What businesses, organizations, faith communities, and agencies can do:
- Support and protect LGBTQ employees, customers and clients through your policies and practices.
- Have an LGBTQ-friendly, gender inclusive business, office, or facility, including Use “All-Gender Restroom” signs (see below) and inclusive forms and paperwork.
- Become a living wage employer.
- Speak up at your city, county, and Chamber of Commerce to advocate for public policies that protect LGBTQ people from discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations.
What NC municipalities and counties can do:
- Add “gender identity” and “sexual orientation” to your non-discrimination ordinance for employment, housing and public accommodations.
- Make “All-Gender Restroom” facilities available (see below).
- Make sure “gender identity” and “sexual orientation” are included in your internal personnel policies on non-discrimination.
- Pay public employees a living wage.
- Encourage living wage job creation in your community.
We offer All-Gender Restroom signs to North Carolina businesses, non-profits and faith communities that would like to show support for the LGB, and especially, the Transgender community. Signs are available for $10 or a sliding scale donation to CSE. Want a sign? Just email Chase Harless, Engagement & Operations Intern (chase[at]southernequality.org), with your name, organization/business name, phone number and organization/business address.