The Campaign for Southern Equality is calling for full equality in every sphere of life for LGBT people across the South. Yet the reality is that LGBT Southerners continue to face discrimination every day. Your gift makes this work possible as we build the movement for equality together. Specifically your donation will go toward:
- Standing with the transgender community in North Carolina: In North Carolina we recently saw one of the most blatant attacks against LGBT people in the country. The passage of HB2 promotes discrimination, overrides local non-discrimination ordinances, and criminalizes transgender people using the restroom that matches their gender identity. CSE is proud to join a coalition of local, statewide, and national partners in response to this attack. For example, we are partnering with Tranzmission to distribute free all-gender restroom signs to local businesses and churches.
- Mississippi same-sex adoption lawsuit: Mississippi is the last state in the nation that bans same-sex couples from adopting. This law must be struck down as quickly as possible and we are honored to be working with one of the best legal teams in the country to help overturn this discriminatory law through an active federal lawsuit. On November 6, the first hearing in this case took place and we are now awaiting a ruling.
- 2016 LGBT* in the South conference: On March 18th – 20th we held our third annual LGBT* in the South Conference which brought together over 650 people to strengthen and elevate Southern leadership. Workshops covered emerging LGBT political issues – such as the proliferation of anti-trans bathroom bills – as well as provided direct training to practitioners across disciplines who serve the LGBT* community. The conference also featured a pop up clinic that provided free direct services to attendees, from HIV testing to legal consultations to chaplaincy support.
- Southern Equality Fund: Through this new initiative, we have already provided financial grants to more than 12 grassroots leaders and groups doing vital work ranging from HIV prevention efforts in the Deep South to working with LGBT homeless people in Western NC.
- Free legal clinics: An ongoing series of free legal clinics empowers LGBT Southerners to know and protect their rights.
We are at a turning point for LGBT equality. We are seeing increasing visibility and leadership of LGBT individuals, especially in rural areas and in the Deep South. Simultaneously we are witnessing a spike in anti-LGBT activity, in both the legal and public spheres. Thanks to your support CSE is responding to the pressing needs of LGBT Southerners.
The next chapter of equality work in the South will happen on the front lines of small towns and rural areas – places where the law has changed, but hearts and minds are slower to; places where it still feels safer to live in the shadows than openly. The next stage of our collective work is real, and it is urgent. It requires innovation and using integrated strategies that simultaneously elevate grassroots leaders and respond to the urgent needs people have.
That’s why we’ll keep growing our Hometown Organizing Project by providing direct support, training and resources to grassroots leaders on the frontlines of the small town South. That’s why we will continue to work with an amazing team of lawyers to target and strike down discriminatory laws across the South. That’s why we will expand our LGBT Rights Toolkit, which responds to immediate needs that Southerners have for resources, information and support in times of need.
We are excited to keep broadening our work across the South.
P.S. The South only receives 8% of domestic funding for LGBT causes, despite having 30% of our nation’s LGBT population. Please consider making a gift now to change this.
The Campaign for Southern Equality is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. All donations to the Campaign for Southern Equality are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
Checks can be mailed to: Campaign for Southern Equality | P.O. Box 364, Asheville, NC 28802.
To make a gift of STOCK OR MUTUAL FUNDS, please review the information and instructions on this form, Securities Donations to CSE.
CSE is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. All donations to CSE are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. Our Federal Tax Identification number is 27-4064401.