The LGBT Rights Toolkit provides Community Law Workshops, support services and an online resource center, all with a goal of helping LGBT people in the South (1) know and protect your rights under current laws and (2) access LGBT-friendly legal, advocacy and health information and services from a broad range of organizations. Check out the drop down menus to get started.
The LGBT Rights Toolkit includes:
- Emergency Resources;
- CSE’s Support Services;
- Reporting incidents of discrimination or violence;
- Community Law Workshops, legal clinics where lawyers share up-to-date information about LGBT rights in the South;
- Name Change Guides across the South (more states coming soon);
- Power of Attorney and Other Tools;
- Resource guides listing LGBT-friendly legal, advocacy and health services. We are proud to partner with local and national organizations that provide support and services to the LGBT community.
Why it matters:
Core to the mission of CSE is the belief that LGBT people are fully human and equal. However current state and federal laws deny this and LGBT people live as second-class citizens across the South. Despite this, there are measures LGBT people can take to help affirm their identities and protect themselves and their families. The LGBT Rights Toolkit is meant to assist Southern LGBT people in navigating systems to help ensure these protections are in place until we are treated equally under the law.
DISCLAIMER: The LGBT Rights Toolkit only contains legal information and should not be interpreted as legal advice, nor should it be used in place of legal assistance. CSE recommends that any person with a question about the law or how it applies to them should contact an attorney. CSE is currently growing its referral list of LGBT-Friendly Attorney Referral List across the South. Click here if you need a referral or would like to learn about other legal information provided by CSE, such as our Community Law Workshops. If you are an LGBT-friendly attorney based in the South and would like to be added to our referral list, please contact our Legal Team Coordinator, Meghann Burke, at firstname.lastname@example.org.